Though teams and GMs are more willing to consider important statistics than they used to be, a number of teams continue to give regular playing time to some flat out awful players. It’s frustrating for fans when they know a player is going to hurt their team, yet they’re in the lineup day in and day out.
And that’s what this week’s top 5 is all about. Not pitchers, not pinch hitters. Those guys who ruin your day with every at bat.
This week’s list (and you better believe there’s going to be some overlap):
The Top 5: Worst Everyday Players
1. Trevor Crowe – CF, Cleveland Indians: Had an astonishing 442 ABs despite being arguably the worst hitter in an anemic lineup. Often dominated Sportscenter’s Top 10, however.
2. Jose Lopez – 3B, Colorado Rockies: Possibly the most overpaid player in baseball (he’ll be making 3 million in 2010 as opposed to minimum wage).
3. Cezar Izturis – SS, Baltimore Orioles: A younger, slightly more powerful version of Rafael Belliard.
4. Jason Kendall – C, Kansas City Royals: Must retire.
5. Jeff Francoeur – RF, Kansas City Royals: A terrible hitter with terrible plate discipline and terrible fielding skills…now playing for a terrible team.
1. Carlos Lee – might be lower on this list, but for $100 million, he should be an all-star AND be able to make me a quality breakfast every morning. He has the potential to do neither.
2. Jason Kendall- if you were in your prime when Griffey Baseball for N64 was out, it’s time to hang ‘em up buddy.
3. Pedro Feliz – Oh how the once somewhat decent have fallen…
4. Jeff Francoeur – Enough has been said on this website about the sadness that is his life.
5. Miguel Tejada – This guys seen more ‘roids than a proctologist, and since getting off of them, has been dreadful.
1. Jeff Francoeur.
2. Yuniesky Betancourt.
3. Melky Cabrera.
4. Carlos Lee.
5. Jonny Gomes.
1. Ronny Cedeno – he’s like that super stoned guy at the Phish concert: every so often he makes sense, but generally its just gibberish and slobber.
2. Melky Cabrera – I put him in the 2 slot because that is the average number of pitches it takes to get this idiot out.
3. Matt Tuiasosopo – who? The Raiders quarterback? Oh, it’s his brother? I bet he still sucks.
4. The Baltimore Orioles – that is all.
5. Nyjer Morgan – 34 steals! Wow! 17 doubles! Whammo! 7 game suspension for throwing a baseball at a fan! Ooooooooooo…
1. Jason Kendall – No HRs or Triples all season. He should have stopped playing when he broke his ankle over ten years ago.
2. Ryan Theriot – Fans will start a riot if this guy sees any sort of regular playing time in 2011.
3. Jeff Francoeur – Talk about the ultimate bust. He has the pitch selection of Vlad Guerrero with none of the ability.
4. Melky Cabrera – Leads the league in sandwiches eaten on field.
5. Yuniesky Betancourt – Congratulations Brewer fans, you traded for Zack Greinke…And a big pile of useless crap!
There you have it, everyone hates Jeff Francoeur. Disagree with our lists? Have one of your own? Throw it down in the comments section, we’d love to hear from you.